Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Funny Story


Last week Chris and I went to Best Buy and saw an open box stainless refrigerator at a very good price. Plus if you bought an open box you immediately received a $250 gift card to Best Buy. The fridge wasn't in perfect condition but there were no problems that we wouldn't have ended up making ourselves within a week of having it.
So we tried to buy it. The kid checking us out was new and didn't know anything. He rang it up including delivery and I paid for it on a credit card that had a zero balance and a $1000 limit. Great. "Where's my gift card?" "Oh, I don't know how to do that. Let me try to edit the transaction for 20 minutes before I get a manager." 20 minutes later, huffy manager shows up, doesn't say a word, voids the transaction and runs away. So the kid rang it up again this time the right way so that the gift card was activated. I go to pay for it but the card was declined because according to them I was trying to go over the limit. I ended up on the phone with the credit card company for another 20 minutes before they finally worked it out. Transaction done...receipts printed...error message pops up on the screen that says "fatal error". We grabbed our gift card and ran.
Two days later they come to deliver our refrigerator then promptly left with the fridge still on the truck. The truck was too big to fit by a large tree at the bottom of our driveway. They would have wheeled it up the driveway but the driveway was a 3-6 inch thick sheet of ice. Thanks to my medication, as they drove away I just stood there and cried. I called my mom to vent and when she told my dad what was going on he hopped in his car with tons of sand and rock salt and helped me chip away ice for an hour! When Chris came home he chipped a bunch more and the next morning i chipped away the rest of what we needed gone. They came back for delivery attempt #2. It was strange because I saw them take the fridge out of a box which I didn't think our fridge would actaully still have. As they were wheeling it up the driveway I noticed there was new plastic wrap around the whole thing. I still can't believe what I did next...I said "is that a new fridge?" "yes it is" "oh, we didn't buy a new fridge, we bought an open box." At this point I'm completely kicking myself!!!!! So the guys argued about whether this was the right fridge or not. One guy went back to the truck to see if there was another one but there wasn't! So they get it up to the door which goes directly into the kitchen and guess what...it wouldn't fit in the door unless the door was taken off the hinges. Of course they can't do it themselves for liability reasons. So they suggested that they leave the fridge on my front lawn, take the door off, bring the fridge in myself (what???), put the old fridge back out on the lawn and they would come back the next day to pick it up. I said "I don't think so...you aren't leaving here unless that new fridge is in place." So I got out my screwdriver and took the door off the hinges myself. (the pins were unable to be removed due to the way the jam was installed) Within 10 minutes the old fridge was gone and the new one was in place. My dad ended up coming up again to make sure the door went back on properly and he also helped me level the fridge because our floors are SO unlevel. Thanks dad!

No comments: