Friday, December 30, 2005

Retrieval

Two days ago I had an ultrasound and my count of follicles went up from 26 to 37!! Carrying them around has been somewhat painful. They called me after the ultrasound and said to stop taking my fsh and take a different drug that will cause the eggs to go into the follicles, and that my retrieval of the eggs would be on Friday!!!

Today Chris and I went to the doctor's office. Chris had to go give a sample while I went to the procedure room and get my iv. I informed the nurse that I tend to get nauseous easily, so she gave me a medication through the iv that would ward that off. She left me alone for a while. I was waiting for Chris to come back and for the dr. to come in. Very gradually I started feeling anxious. It got worse and worse to the point where I was crying and I wanted to rip out the iv and leave! It was like I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. The nurse came in and was trying to talk me down...making me take deep breaths but it wasn't helping. She said it was a reaction to the medication that was supposed to keep me from getting nauseous...figures. She immediately stopped it and flushed the iv. I felt that way for probably 20 minutes when the dr finally came in and he started asking me what I did for a living and asking other very detailed questions. I felt better almost immediately! At that point Chris came in so luckily he missed all that. A few minutes later they made Chris leave and they rolled me into the procedure room, gave the anesthesia and I was feeling GREAT! Next thing I knew I heard people calling my name and I felt Chris kiss me on the cheek :-) I was very groggy and sleepy and definitely crampy. The dr. came back after a little while and said that he was able to get 26 eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was a woman next to me that I heard the dr. tell he got 8.

So we call tomorrow to find out how many eggs fertilized and the quality of them and if they recommend to put them back in on Monday or Wednesday.

I'm now laying on the couch with the kitties in my lap. Chris is taking care of me...made me some lunch and making me watch country music videos (we'll see how that makes me feel). I'm definitely in som mild pain but nothing to complain about at this point.

On a deep note, it's kind of sad to think that our child will be conceived without us even in the same city. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do.

No comments: