Sunday, June 06, 2010

Potty training

For well over a year Madison has gone pee on the potty. Not on a regular basis by any means but I knew she could do it. After the first few times she did it she stopped wanting to go. I'd gently nudge her but if I met resistance I'd lay off. I didn't want to put any pressure on her and make potty training a battle. I knew she'd do it when she was ready. Of course I was getting pressure from those around me to push both of them but I didn't. I wasn't really sure what sign I was waiting for but I knew I'd know it when I saw it. Today is Saturday June 5. Last Monday she started telling us that she needed to go on the potty. I didn't think anything of it but by the evening she'd had a dry diaper all day. The next morning she told me she had to use the potty. She did and after that I put her in underwear. That was the last time she wore a diaper during the day. I didn't know it was coming. I didn't plan it. It just happened. When she was ready.
She's definitely had a few accidents but I didn't expect anything less. One morning she even woke up dry. I'm so proud of her!
Just a funny note, the first public rest room Maddie used was in Macy's and the second was at the House of the Seven Gables.

Jackson will pee on the potty anytime he sees Maddie do it or if I ask him if he wants to. I tried underwear on him a couple of days in a row but he just doesn't tell me he needs to go like she does and he'll have accidents all over the place.

I'm convinced that them telling you they need to is the key. You can put them on the potty every hour but they're not going to learn to recognize when they NEED to go. When they figure out that feeling then they will be successful.

No comments: