Monday, January 03, 2011

Snow overload

The day after Christmas we got sacked with a huge nor'easter. It was actually nice to be all cozied up in the house while the weather was howling outside. The snow started in the early evening on Sunday and by Monday morning when we woke up we couldn't see out any of our windows. The wind had been blowing the snow sideways and coated the house in a thin layer of snow. Monday afternoon we went outside to play but it was still really cold and extremely windy so we didn't stay out too long.
Our neighbor that we share a driveway with has a plow on his truck so we are lucky enough to have our driveway plowed for us. Chris just has to do a little bit of shoveling of the walk way and a path to the car.
The plow creates quite a snow bank so Chris got the kids up there to sled down it.

Since the snow was so deep and very powdery I got the kids to jump off the porch. They absolutely loved it!

Then we had a snowball fight!
IMG_2078 (4 of 4)

IMG_2061 (3 of 4)

IMG_2042 (2 of 4)

IMG_2040 (1 of 4)

Chris was on vacation last week so we were all able to go sledding. I believe it was Thursday we went and I was shocked at how much of the snow had melted. We went to a small hill at the Peabody middle school. It was fun but we wished we had gone to a bigger hill somewhere.

On Friday (New Year's Eve) we took them to the colonial in Lynnfield. We took them there the last two years too.

This year we brought Raffe with us and Grandpa stopped by when he was driving by. Grandma came by too later.

The side of the hill we went on last year was all grass so we had to go to the real big side. It was awesome sledding!
I went down a few times myself and had so much fun. One time I went down with Jackson and at the height of speed my foot jammed into the snow bringing me to a complete halt which catapulted me into the air, flipping me over, taking out Jackson, and flinging my glasses off my face. Jackson ended up face first into the snow. Then when we were all recovering another kid came down the hill and took Jackson out again!

It was 57 degrees that day so we were able to stay a long time. We were there for 3.5 hours!
Raffe and Jackson made many attempts to go down together but it just didn't work.

Right from there we dropped Raffe off at home and we stayed there to spend New Year's Eve with Mike and Kristen. Even after all that crazy exercise walking up the hill Maddie totally stayed up until midnight! Jackson fell asleep at 10:30.

1 comment:

Wendy and Karen said...

Awesome videos and pictures. I can't wait to show them to Kylie.