Sunday, May 27, 2007

Lilies of the Valley

Lilies of the valley are my mother's favorite flower. When she got married in August of 1972 she really wanted them in her bouquet but they were not in season. She was able to find a fake plastic version to put in the bouquet. All my life I remember seeing one little sprig of the flowers tucked into the side of a frame and I always knew I wanted to have it in my bouquet when I got married.
When it came time for my wedding day I tucked the little sprig into the ribbon on the stem of my bouquet. Upon arriving at the church I noticed the sprig was missing. I was a little emotional to begin with but when I realized I would not get married with the same sprig my mother did I was inconsolable. Then what made it worse was that I felt SO guilty that I had lost this precious piece of history. I actually have a picture that my photographer took (which I can't show you because it would break copyright laws) of my limo driver with her hands on my shoulders trying to calm me down. The look on my face is that of a little girl who just lost her puppy. She calmed me down enough that I was able to walk down the aisle and marry a wonderful handsome man and now father of my children. After the ceremony my maid of honour, Gia came running up to me with the sprig in her hand. She had found it in the lawn of the church. I was so grateful.
Now I have lots of lilies of the valley that grow in my garden. I picked these the other day and put them in a vase disguised as a baby bottle.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Beautiful! I'm glad you were able to find the precious flowers!

Wendy and Karen said...

Lovely story. I've tried several times to get them to grow in my garden without success. I think they are such pretty flowers.