Thursday, January 25, 2007

My new home (29 weeks)

I'm in my new home. Beth Israel hospital in Boston.

On Monday January 22nd I was wondering about the movement of Jackson...I was worried that maybe I wasn't feeling him. So I called the doctor's office and they said to come right in. Chris came home from work and took me. Both babies were measuring just fine. Jackson went from the 16th to the 19th percentile and Madison went from the 52nd to the 37th. However when they measured my cervix it was half the size it was two weeks prior. They hooked me up to a monitor to see if I was having contractions and I was. They sent us immediately to the hospital to labor and delivery where they discovered my contractions (which I was not feeling) were three minutes apart!! They basically rushed me to a room, got an iv in my arm and gave me a heavy dose of magnesium to stop the contractions. After 20 minutes they lowered the dose in half and I stayed there overnight. The magnesium did it's job and the contractions were spaced at a much safer interval. By Tuesday afternoon the doctor was comfortable with my reduction in contractions so the moved me out of labor and delivery and to a floor where they put pregnant ladies on bed rest! At 29 weeks the babies would most likely be fine if they were born...they would need help from the nice people in NICU but they would survive. However, noone here wants them born before 32 weeks. So the short term plan is I am here until next Wednesday on the magnesium, only up to go to the bathroom. By then I will be 30 weeks and they will see what happens when i go off the magnesium. If the contractions come back they will try a different drug because magnesium is only effective for a certain period of time. So only time will tell.
Chris has made my new home wonderful. He hasn't gone to work this week so he has been by my side the whole time which has been great. There is a little bed for him to sleep on although there isn't much sleep to get at night around here with the nurses in and out checking on me. Today is Thursday and I was just able to take my first shower today. This picture is me looking my very best (believe it or not) right out of the shower. I felt SOOOO good after!
It's now almost 6:00pm and while I've been writing I've been feeling some contracitons so I'm going to go for now so the nurse can put me on the monitor.

2 comments:

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

Oh Kerry!! You still look WONDERFUL! Your smile is radiant. You look like you are in great spirits....maybe it's just the shower-fresh feeling!! best wishes- rae

Shannon said...

Oh wow! I can't believe you're in the hospital. I still can't believe I'm not (yet). How did you feel on the magnesium? I've always read about the yucky side effects. I was surprised to read that you couldn't feel the preterm contractions because I certainly did. It makes me wonder if I am having them and not realizing it. It's so good to hear your spirits are up. Hang in there! I will be checking your blog religiously now.

:)