Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Sad day

Barb and Madison on Easter 2007

Chris's grandmother passed away suddenly tonight. Chris's father was on the phone with her when she went silent. He called the police who broke into her house to find her unconscious. They were unable to revive her.


Barb, Bruce, Chris, Jackson, and Madison at the end of March 2007

Since this is my blog I am going to share some stories about her.

Barb and I had a few things in common, two of which being our love for Christopher (her first grandchild) and the fact that we both carried twins. Sadly one of her girls didn't make it after birth but wonderful Aunt Judy wasn't done with this world and we are so happy to have her in our lives.

M&J, Courtney, Steve, Judy and I spent this past Sunday with Barb. Barb loves to tell the story of how when Chris was little and he would visit her house he would run right for the record player and put on Frank Sinatra and the two of them would dance around the living room. It is both of their favorite memories of each other. It makes me think what memories my children will have with our parents. We spent the time there watching Madison and Jackson rolling around on the floor showing off for Great-Nana.


Barb, Bruce, Chris, Jackson, and Madison on Easter 2007

One Easter the year before Chris and I got married, Barb informed us that she would not be attending our wedding since we were not planning on getting married in a church. I actually have no recollection of this but Judy remembers me crying my eyes out and she reminds me every Easter :-) We told her that the church we wanted to get married in was too expensive so she offered to pay the fee as her wedding gift to us. She ended up attending and it was certainly our most memorable wedding gift.

I am so sad that she is gone. Sad that we didn't know last Christmas would be our last with her, sad that she will not see her other two grandchildren get married next year, sad that I will not get to taste her amazing cooking again, sad about a hundred other things, but most of all I am thankful. Thankful that I got to know her so well and spend so much time with her and thankful that she got to meet Madison and Jackson. She loved them so much and thought they were so beautiful and special and I will be able to tell them that one day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

Jeanne The Queen said...

so sorry to hear about your loss. We will keep your family in our prayers.
-jeanne

Courtney said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you got to spend so much time with her and that she got to spend such memorable times with M and J.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Eva said...

I am so sad for all of you. She sounds like a great woman. How wonderful that she had a chance to spend time with her great granchildren, and that they were able to meet their great grandmother.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like she was an amazing person and what wonderful memories you have of her.

My condolences.

Melissa