Thursday, May 01, 2008

BPA

I've been learning about this for about 7 months now. I can't believe that anyone should have to do their own research about a chemical that that causes breast cancer and blatant infertility

I am absolutely 100% convinced that BPA is exactly what stopped my body from producing estrogen / gave me poly cystic ovaries / made me infertile.

I can't tell you how many nights my mother (don't worry, mom, I don't blame you) made broccoli or carrots in a bowl covered in plastic wrap and cooked in the microwave. I thought it was so cool because when it came out of the microwave the plastic would suck down and cover the veggies like it was vacuum sealed. Now I can just see the BPA particles digging their way into my healthy vegetables.

Anything that messes with your hormones is NOT good.

The other thing I learned just tonight is that canned goods are lined with plastic that contains BPA!!!!!!! How are we supposed to get away from it?

I'm really bad at explaining things so I urge you to go here to read about it. In case you don't I'll quote a little here

"To his students, Welshons explains low-dose hormonal effects this way: A cubic millimeter of a chemical is a milligram, which is a relatively large amount. If you take one thousandth of that, you have a microgram, which is visible to someone with excellent eyesight. (It’s the smallest particle a human eye can resolve.) If you take one of those microgram particles, waft it onto the floor, step on it and grind it into a thousand more particles, you have nanogram particles, which are invisible to the naked eye. If one of those nanogram particles floats into the air and lands in a 1-liter container of liquid and dissolves there, it creates a solution that, in the case of bisphenol A, will stimulate human breast-cancer cells in a cell culture, causing the cancer cells to proliferate."


I've alreay gone ahead and thrown away any plastic containers that have a number 7 in the triangle on the bottom. But I have a lot of things that don't have the triangle on them. So how are you supposed to know? And I want to know if plastic leaches bpa only if it's heated or washed in the dishwasher, or is it fine for cold liquid or handwashing.

Oh and the other interesting thing is that BPA is banned in Europe and recently Canada.

5 comments:

Eva said...

I know, I've been freaking out about this since I learned about it during pregnancy, when I was drinking water out of Nalg*ne by the gallon! Then switched to glass which was easy-ish on bedrest.

I just bought me, S & J Sigg bottles. I'm hoping they will be safer than the plastic sippy cups (which don't have triangles), though I'm not sure S&J are ready to use them.

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

I went and bought BPA free bottles for Teo - Born Free brand, and then I found out that the organic formula we use has BPA in the can! WTF?

I think it's the worst if it's heated because the chemicals leach out. However, I have read that BPA can leach into liquid formula in cans. We always use powdered formula and it's not supposed to be as bad.

I avoid heating anything in the micro in plastic. I still use plastic sippy cups but handwash them. I just use plastic tupperware to store things in the fridge.

When I was young I thought my mom was a freak because we never had a microwave, but now I'm kinda glad.

Rhiann said...

We went BPA free a long time before Allura was even born. It's scary stuff these toxic and hormone altering plastics.

BPA can leach out when the plastic gets older and scratched also, not just when it's heated.

Another plastic additive to look out for is Phtalates. The Soft Landing has a great blog about safe products and links to more educational sites regarding plastics and their safety levels.

AND...while we're add it, I urge you to look into avoiding anything with HFCS(high fructose corn syrup) if you haven't already. It's yet another chemically altered substance that we consume on a regular basis that can cause reproductive discrepancy.

Kerry Lynn said...

Rhiann,
HFCS is not allowed in our house. It absolutely amazes me how hard it is to avoid. It's in EVERYTHING! The only bread I've found that doesn't have it (that I like) is pepridge farm rye.
puffins cereal and kashi heart to heart don't have it so that's all I let the kids eat.
I don't want to get all freaky about not allowing them to eat certain foods but I just don't see the point in offering food that I know is bad. It's just as easy to put puffins on their tray as it is cheerios that has HFCS.

Thanks for the answers ladies!!

Anonymous said...

I was cruising teh internets and found this about BPA leaching.

Still haven't found much of anything on melamine