Friday, June 01, 2007

Rings

Before Chris and I got married I was having a conversation with his grandmother. She was telling me how her wedding ring has never left her finger since the day she got married. Sadly her husband passed away about 35 years ago but there the ring is, faithfully, lovingly on her finger. I knew then that I wanted to make the same commitment with my own wedding ring when I married her grandson. Chris also agreed to make the same commitment although he likes to tease me and casually say he took it off while golfing.


I have had 5 major surgeries (general anesthesia or spinal) and 5 minor surgeries (sedation) all of which I have been asked to take off all of my jewelry. When I tell them that my wedding band has not left my finger since my wedding day they always say "AAWWW...you can leave it on...we'll just tape it on".


This was the case up until yesterday...


The nurse said I had to take it off because the procedure was on my left hand and they didn't want it to get in the way or for the finger to swell and have to cut the ring off. I warned them that I was going to cry but all they could do was give me sympathy. I put my face in my hands and just sobbed at the thought (I'm welling up now too) of that ring coming OFF my finger. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and took the ring off. I immediately put it on my right hand which they said I could do.


I didn't get a chance to tell Chris what had happened until after midnight that night. I said to him, "Things didn't all go well today." I showed him my hand that was all distractingly bandaged up but he immediately noticed the missing ring and said "OH NO!" I told him that I hadn't put the ring back on that finger because he is the only one I want putting the ring on my finger. He sweetly, unexpectedly asked me to marry him, I said yes, and the ring went back on the finger where it belongs.


Then we both joked that that was his opportunity to not be tied down anymore and that he ruined his chance! HAHA


We will be married 6 years in 16 days.


1 comment:

Wes and Rae Leytham said...

dang it Kerry - I am too hormonal for these type of entries. Now I am teary.... That is so sweet though.