Monday, January 12, 2009

First time sledding!


Uncle Mike called us yesterday morning to see if we wanted to go sledding with them.  Maddie still didn't have boots so we stopped at Walmart on the way to get some.  We had just had a big storm over night so the parking lot was a mess on top of a sheet of ice.  Cars were stuck all over the place including Auntie Kristen's car.  The walk to the top of the hill was treacherous too.  My parents joined us along with Chris's mom.  When my parents got there my mom fell on the ice.  It was totally her fault because she was RUNNING to see her grandchildren even though we all were telling her to be careful.

Chris went down with Maddie for the first time and I went down with Jackson.  Jackson and I laughed the entire way down.  It was so much fun but getting back up the hill was not so much fun.  Like the parking lot, under the 9 inches of snow was a sheet of ice from the previous storm.  I kept slipping and was actually afraid we would never make it back to the top and have to live out our days right there on the hill at the Colonial.  Carrying 30 pounds of baby in snow gear didn't make it any easier.  Somehow I made it back up but I was severely out of breath and there was no way I could do it again.
Grandpa took Jackson down twice and said he couldn't do any more than that.  Chris did quite a few runs but he was exhausted after that.

Raffe had NEVER gone sledding before!!!  He enjoyed going down but I think he didn't think it was worth the effort to get back up :-)



Kiss from Uncle Mike



Raffe and Jackson having a race
If you click on this picture you can see the expressions on their faces at the bottom of the hill.


I put their mittens on and then put long socks over them.  It served it's purpose of keeping snow off of their hands but the mittens wouldn't stay on their hands inside.

I think next time we'll try a smaller hill :-)

2 comments:

Stacie said...

That looks like a lot of fun, although I wouldn't be caught there in a million years! Waaay too cold for my wimpy body.

Love the picture of Madison with the little curl peeking through.

Rhiann said...

How FUN!

I wish we had snow here. We have to drive hours to play in the snow.

But then again, who am I to complain when we can spend a weekend in January playing on the beach in 70 degree weather!

Your babies & pictures are fabulous, as always!