I first read about these amber necklaces on this blog. A year ago I got matching necklaces for Maddie and me. Mostly because I thought they were pretty but also because I thought it would be really cool if they helped with the things they're supposed to. On the website to buy them I also read about hazelwood and all of the cool things it can help with. I'm not going to try to explain it all so I pulled these descriptions from their website.
"What Can Baltic Amber Help With?
* Pain Relief: Baltic amber contains analgesic properties and helps take the edge off of many types of discomfort associated with dental issues, headaches, joint pain, etc. It is a well known European method to help decrease the pain associated with teething.
* Strengthening the Body's Immune System: In many different and subtle ways, succinic acid helps boost the body's own natural healing ability and immune system.
* Restoring Energy: The human body naturally produces succinic acid. The salt of succinic acid (succinate) is one of the most active substances in the processes of cellular respiration and intercellular energy creation. Succinic acid restores oxygen and energy supply to depleted cells and helps the body return to a normal, functioning state.
* Maintaining Wellness: When the human body reacts to stress, the body’s cells begin to use oxygen more quickly. Oxygen plays a central role in the intercellular creation of energy, and a lack of oxygen can result in feeling lethargic.
Oxygen is alkaline-forming in the blood and maintaining a slightly alkaline blood Ph helps keep us healthy (see “About Hazelwood” for more information on acid/alkaline blood levels). Whenever the body functions in a state of low oxygen, it is much more susceptible to illness.
* To Help Break a Cycle of (chronic) Inflammation:
Where chronic inflammation is present, disease lurks.
When the body’s cells are chronically inflamed the human body’s immune system response is to increase production of free radicals. Chronic overproduction of free radicals results in inflammatory-related disease. Chronic inflammation is a common denominator of many seemingly unrelated diseases."
Photo by Angela
Unfortunately I missed some very important care instructions on the amber which may explain why I really haven't experienced any benefits besides it looking pretty. The necklace has pretty much not left my body in a year which means it's been sprayed with hair spray on occasion, lathered up with shampoo, rubbed with body lotion, dusted with shimmer powder, and submerged in a chlorine pool; all of which are a big no no. You're not even supposed to store it near metal objects. I ordered a new necklace today that I will properly care for. I suppose I should get a new one for Maddie too since hers hasn't left her body either.
So here's the cool thing. If you want any of the products on Hazelaid.com they have given me a discount code for anyone reading to receive 10% off. Simply enter the code 10goodwin in their really cool shopping cart. If you or someone you know suffers from any of the issues above it's really worth a try, even if you just end up looking pretty.