Saturday, February 24, 2007

Checkup

Wednesday (my birthday :( I got that dreaded stomache bug. I was sick through friday morning. And I just FELT nauseous the whole time.

So then Friday morning I had a checkup at 10am and Chris's mother took me. I had protein in my urine and Jackson's heart rate dipped once during the nst so they sent me off to the hospital. Got in a room at 1pm and got all strapped up for a 2 hour nst. They also drew blood to test for pre-eclampsia (my blood pressure won't go up because I'm on bp medication to stop my contractions). They said the blood work would be back within 2 hours. 4 hours later, no word and I'm still on the monitor. At 5:30 the labs came back all normal except still protein in my urine. They sent me home to do a 24 hour urine collection so they could get a more average reading. Chris has to bring it back to the hospital tonight. Doc said if it's still elevated they will deliver :-( I know I'm at a great point to deliver now but I was definitely hoping to avoid nicu time if at all possible.

So with traffic getting out of boston I didn't get home until 7pm. It was a long day. I hadn't eaten at all on thursday cause of the bug and then I had breakfast on friday but they wouldn't let me eat at all at the hospital until 5:30 when they knew I was going home.

I still felt pretty sick after I got home but I think a good night's sleep has got me back to normal.

2 comments:

Wendy and Karen said...

That was a long, long day!! Hope you are feeling better. Sending you our best wishes.

Shannon said...

I don't blame you for wanting to avoid NICU time! The one thing I've learned from my experience is to trust in your team of docs, and don't get caught up in dates and time lines. If I had done those two things, I would have had much less stress and agonized much less over the decision to take the twins at 32 weeks. If I were you, I would just mentally prepare and accept that Madison and Jackson will spend *some* NICU time (hopefully not as long as mine) just simply because you have GD, possibly pre-e, they are twins, they will most likely be born before 37 weeks, etc. I could have saved myself from so much torment had I mentally accepted that.

I met some newly hatched twins last week at our NICU. They were born right at 35 weeks and looked good. They spent a full week in the NICU for obversation and tests, and they were sent home last night. That seems to be a pretty common story in the twin world.

I forget my point... :)

Anyway, you are doing great! Don't make my mistake by putting your expectations above your doc's opinions on when to take them. (I know you're not though.) I'm sure everything will be just fine. I'm still checking your blog all the time for updates...so don't leave me hanging. :)