Friday, March 20, 2009

2 Year Check-up

My mom came with me to help wrangle the kids at the doctor today. They were enjoying running around naked until Maddie peed on the floor. Jumping off the scale was completely entertaining to them.

As usual I was completely curious how much they weighed. I suppose their rapid growth slows down at this point but I was still shocked at Madison’s weight. Especially because I really thought I had noticed her feeling a lot heavier than before.

At 18 months Madison was 20 lbs 3 oz and in the 10th percentile
Today she was 21.5 lbs which puts her back down to the 5th where she had always been prior to 18 months
Her height was 32.5 inches 15th percentile

At 18 months Jackson was 24 lbs 6 oz and in the 30th percentile
Today he was 26 lbs which put him in the 25th percentile
His height was 34.5 inches 25th percentile

We were told to stay on whole milk for at least the next 6 months to try to beef them up a little bit. She also told us to start taking vitamins now. I got some flintstone looking ones at TJ’s but any recommendations would be appreciated. I had asked about peanuts and she said that we could introduce them at this point. I’m not in any rush to do that but I do want to know if there are any allergies.

There were no vaccinations today. They were supposed to have blood drawn for lead testing but we ran out of time and the rest of the staff was already at lunch. So now I have to make a separate trip to the hospital. Is this test even necessary? I can’t tell you how much I don’t want to subject them to a blood draw. It just breaks my heart. We have no lead paint in our house but are there other places they can be exposed to it?
OH, and I asked about testing the blood for peanut allergies since I know a friend of mine had her daughter tested that way. The nurse practitioner said the only way to test for allergies was a scratch test. Any knowledge in this area?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My twins were tested for lead. I've never heard of doing that actually.

After the hives incident with Kate (eggs), she had blood taken and was tested for all food allergies. She came back negative on everything...including eggs (weird). They didn't do a scratch test. It was a blood draw, and she didn't cry about it (amazing). I'm so glad I had it done because it's given me a lot of peace of mind.

Anonymous said...

CORRECTION: My twins were NOT tested for lead.

Kerry Lynn said...

What the hell?? Thanks, Shannon. Good to know.

Anonymous said...

I think lead testing is a law (?) in MA. It may even be on the list of things kids need before they can start school. They usually draw blood by doing a prick in the finger - not too invasive. Emma was actually fascinated by it the first time. You might want to bring an extra pair of hands again!

Kerry Lynn said...

Finger prick my ass! They've already had it done and it was barbaric. Holding down a toddler to draw blood from a vein is horrible.
I remember the finger prick (for myself as a kid) was to test iron.

How's that baby doing Dawn??

Anonymous said...

They'll need proof of lead testing for daycare, prek, school, etc. This leads me to believe that it is in fact a state law. As far as the allergies go, they'll only do the blood test if there is a reaction to the skin test. Email me if you need more info, this is the much abbreviated version!

Danika

Anonymous said...

When doing blood test's in Emma's doctor's office, they've only ever taken blood from her finger, never from her vein. Do you want their number? :)

Eva said...

The whole milk thing seems excessive -- they're appropriate for height/weight, so why do they need to be beefed up? Maybe that's just me. S is just as small or smaller and our doctor (who is laid back) just said, whatever you have in the house, whole, 2%, 1%. They've both been on 2% since 24 months.

S&J LOVE the gummy vitamins. They're basically gummy bears and Target has a brand that's cheaper. Not sure it matters though (the type, not the cost).

All of our blood tests, including lead, have been finger pricks. And some states do have requirements for lead testing. We have an old house so it gave me peace of mind.

Food allergy testing is generally reserved for kids who may have had a reaction (I think it's expensive). But I also know of someone who had a blood test, not a scratch test, after a reaction.

Anonymous said...

My son is allergic to many things. We did the scratch test first and it came back positive for many, many things. The doc. said the scratch test is not a definite, so we did a blood test that came back positive for allergies to dairy, egg, and tree nuts. Far less than the scratch test indicated.

It is not the law in my state to have lead testing done, but each state is different.